SOLD - Hidden Jewel in the Heart of Banana Belt!
168 San Carlos Avenue Sausalito, CA
- Beds 3
- Baths 3
- Sq.Ft 2160
- Status Sold
SOLD! MULTIPLE OFFERS! Offered at $3,195,000
Welcome to 168 San Carlos, a stunning mid-century modern home nestled in the desirable Banana Belt of Sausalito. Situated in the historic district known as The Hill, this extraordinary property, with panoramic views, quarter acre- street-to-street lot, is everything you’ve been waiting for. This amazing property offers timeless architecture with the main house that includes Primary Suite with office, guest bedroom & bathroom, abundant off street parking & storage on one easy level! The open living/dining room with wood burning fireplace, extraordinary Bay Views and attached wrap around deck is the perfect room to entertain. The eat-in kitchen with window seat, opens to expansive view deck, perfect for al fresco dining. Owner is a Master Gardener and has taken this very special property to a whole new level-creating magical, expansive gardens with over 20 Japanese maples/trees, pond with waterfall and multiple areas to reflect and enjoy the views! This jewel box comes with a precious gem! A legal, auxiliary dwelling unit (ADU) that could be used as an income-generating rental, office/gym or extra guest quarters! There are two additional parking spaces (5 total) on the lower side of the property, accessed on a semi-private lane from Harrison Ave.
The home was lovingly remodeled in the mid 90’s by renowned architect Elizabeth Roberts (now in NYC) and featured in Sunset Magazine! Main access is at the end of a shared lane off San Carlos Avenue (between 164 and 172 San Carlos) or lower access from Harrison Ave next to the Star of the Sea Catholic Church. The present owners have extensively remodeled and relandscaped the grounds to create one of the most beautiful gardens in Sausalito. With the Banana Belt weather (protected) and spectacular West facing views of Mt. Tam, Richardson’s Bay, Sausalito Marinas and more, you will never want to leave this private and protected Shangri La. A short distance to town from several directions, close to the Ferry, GGNRA and San Francisco, this home has it all!
- Mid Century Modern Organic Architecture (originally built in 1964)
- Expansive View lot (12,810 sq. feet per tax records)
- Panoramic Bay Views to Mt. Tam and Richardson’s Bay – Great Sunsets!
- Extensively remodeled in mid 90’s!
- 2190 sq. feet of living space includes separate legal ADU
- Main House: 2 Bedrooms + office area/2 Bathrooms, open living/dining room, eat in kitchen - Approximately 1720 sq. ft.
- Eat-in kitchen with wrap around view deck and walls of glass
- Full size stacked washer/dryer (2023) in kitchen
- Primary Suite has walls of built in closets, drawers, skylight, separate office area and opens to private garden, deck and enclosed “catio”
- Level entry to main house from 2 car carport with storage lockers
- Legal ADU – 470 sq. ft. – Spacious Studio that opens to deck and gardens with updated bathroom/kitchen, vaulted ceiling, redwood interior & skylight for tons of natural light.
- Off Street Parking for 5 cars (2 dedicated parking spaces on Harrison lane)
- Huge finished storage room (approximately 640 sq. feet) accessed from side of house
- Fully fenced, private, landscaped, irrigated gardens in front and back
- Beautiful pond with cascade waterfall and water feature at entry
- Multiple fruit trees
- Recently refinished hardwood & natural slate floors throughout
- On demand hot water
- Tons of natural light with multiple skylights
- New Roof (2023)
- Recently painted inside/out
- Beautifully maintained, upgraded and updated by present owner over the last 30 years
- Located in the heart of the Banana Belt, in the historic district, known for the best weather, estate properties and easy access to downtown!
All Showings/Viewings are by appointment only. Contact Sherrie Faber at 415.339.9200 for a private showing. This property is not on MLS and there are no signs.
Please do not go on the property without a scheduled appointment. Note: security cameras in place.
Sold! Multiple Offers!
All showings are by appointment only. Please contact Sherrie at 415.339.9200
A complete disclosure package is available and includes Pest Inspection by Morris Termite Inspections; Gregg Flaherty Home Inspections; Resale Report and Certificate of Compliance for Sewer Lateral by City of Sausalito; Preliminary Title Report and color coded map provided by Old Republic Title; Survey; completed Sellers Disclosures and receipt/warranty information for recently installed 30 year roof (Wedge Roofing).
Seller has requested no pre-emptive offers. An offer date will be scheduled once property has been fully exposed to the market. The neighboring property, 168A San Carlos, is currently on MLS and is an REO. The late owner was a friend and wonderful neighbor to all and lived in the house for more than 50 years. Out of respect to the neighbors on the lane, we are waiting to go public with this listing, due to parking concerns.
When visiting the property, with a scheduled appointment, you can park in the carport, entering from San Carlos Avenue. Please do NOT visit the property without a scheduled appointment. Video cameras are in operation and neighbors are on high alert.